Altar Rosary Society
On September 15, 2005, the first meeting of the St. Isidore Altar-Rosary Society was held in the Marysdale Chapel hall. A total of 24 ladies from the former St. Stephen’s, The Bend and Immaculate Conception, Marysdale parishes were present. A re-organization of the two groups into one took place with the following decisions being made. It was suggested that information about the society be distributed to all parishioners of St. Isidore in order that each family might know the benefits of membership and what our organization is and what it does.
BENEFITS: These are twofold, spiritual and social. Two Masses each year are said for the benefit of all living and deceased members. The Society has a Mass said for each member within four weeks following her death. The member must have dues paid or their family members given the opportunity to pay neglected dues. A rosary will be said for the deceased member. Also, at death, the Society will prepare a dinner the day of the funeral and furnish all the food, for any parish member upon request of the family.
MEMBERSHIP: All ladies of the parish attaining the age of 18 years and a practicing Catholic are eligible for membership.
DUES: Dues are $2.00 per year. Please use the envelope especially designated for this in your collection envelope box. Senior members 65 years of age and older are not expected to pay dues to maintain membership. Unless dues are paid, members cannot receive the special benefits of the Society at death.
MEETINGS: Meetings are held the third Thursday of the month unless notified otherwise. They will begin immediately following the evening Mass at alternating sites. If there is not a scheduled Mass, the rosary will be recited before the meeting.
MONTHLY COMMITTEES: Each regular monthly committee will consist of at least a chairlady. She will be responsible to contact her committee and they will be in charge of refreshments. If unable to work or provide refreshments, committee members will share in the costs of the refreshments and prize.
FUNDRAISING EVENT: A feather party, co-sponsored with the Holy Name Society is held in November. Each parish family is expected to contribute by providing food, cash or labor. The proceeds from this fundraiser will be divided between the Altar Rosary Society and the Holy Name Society.
The monies made from the fundraisers and dues are used for the following yearly activities:
• provides salary for the sacristan.
• purchases new altar linens as needed..
• has two Masses said for living and deceased members each year.
• hosts communion breakfast every other month (except June, July and August)
• provides altar flowers for First Communion, Confirmation and all Marian holy days plus $250.00 a year toward Sunday and special flowers.
• supervises dessert potluck for the parish mission.
• cooks and serves the Father-Son breakfast when requested.
• celebrates parish women with the Mother-Daughter breakfast.
• organizes, serves, and provides food for funeral dinners of deceased parishioners upon request of the family. Members' families will reimburse the society for the cost of the food. If a nonmember's family requests a meal, the family will re-imburse the cost of the plus an additional 20% of that cost.
• presents Bibles to Confirmation candidates, rosaries and crucifixes to graduates.
• provides cookies for Red Cross bloodmobile.
• sponsors a feather party as a fundraiser.
• makes annual donations to the Central Shares, Bryan and Defiance Community Pregnancy Center and other charitable organizations.
• provides corsages for first communicants.
• provides dishcloths to parishioners at little more than cost.
MANY HANDS MAKE LIGHT WORK